Friday, May 24, 2013

President's Note: RCUPG

Rtr Binjal Shah
President 2012-13

This was an initiative that has always been a dream of sorts, ever since I came to terms with the actual magnitude of the platform provided by the Rotaract Movement's network. This organization has an unmatched reach, and if capitalized on adequately, it can indeed make a difference, in the true sense of the term.

I decided to do just that, as a project with a club in this country was atop the check-list I had prepared for myself, when I prepared the blue-print of my year on assuming my term as president. World Peace day came along, and connecting with a club in Lahore seemed like a project that would epitomize 'promotion of peace'. Various clubs were contacted, and we were lucky enough to seal the deal with a club with people who are as friendly, enterprising, ebullient as ourselves. We have the same wavelength, and the chemistry has been crackling so far!

However, the Indo-Pak issue remains to be  a sensitive one, and I knew we were treading on thin ice on the eve of the day the video conference was scheduled to happen. We encountered stiff resistance from authorities who even feared for our safety, if the word was out.

But our resolve was unbending. We went ahead with it, and it was one fruitful session that I am and will remain to be immensely proud of this year! It was one of our most applauded initiatives, and the consequences are going to be more and more apparent and felt by the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment